Sunday, March 16, 2008

Scottish Cross



My brother Brandt served a mission in Scotland. While he was there he sent home several boxes of Tartan scraps. We didn't know what to do with them, but when I saw the Scottish Cross quilt pattern I knew I had to make it. This quilt is 100% wool, and because it frays like crazy, was the most challenging to work with.

Historically, the Scottish Cross was a quilt pattern used throughout Scotland by royalty and peasants alike. It's a great pattern because it allows you to highlight the intricacies of the Tartan in the foreground with a subtle cross in the background.

10 comments:

Freer Family said...

Cool! I love that you made a Scottish Cross using scraps from Scotland, that is really special.

Aimee said...

Who knew you had such talent!! I think my favorite is the purple and green log cabin, but a very close second is the red flower quilt. I only hope to someday have some kind of sewing skills. I'm pretty sure that day will have to be in the millenium.
The quilts look great!

Unknown said...

holy crap, chicky! i never knew this side of you. you're amazing. i need to fly you to texas for some lessons!

Mari said...

This is so cool and looks like tons (or loads as they say in the UK) of work! I knew Brandt had sent the tartan home but I didn't know you had made the quilt already. You're speedy!

Tuesdee said...

WOW, you are awesome!!! Those quilts are amazing!!!I can't choose a favorite... The log cabin Americana one and the red flower one really caught my eye. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

Anonymous said...

Cammie I always knew you were amazing, now everyone else can see it too! I love this subtle tribute to Brandt, we love him like an old cat.

Jan said...

Wow! Cammie, these are so beautiful!! Love the historic stories in this one.

Tami said...

You are ONE talented Gal! I tried sewing and I am not patient enough...probably cause I don't catch on quickly. My mom and mother in law are both great seamstresses to I usually have them fill my sewing needs.

You continue to impress me girl!

Cambu said...

I love them! Once I finish my quilt (going on 2.5 years now) you can teach me some of these other patterns!

Ashley said...

The quilts are totally amazing, that is awesome. You are so talented. I really love the quilt with the rooster on it, cockadoodledoo...